Each winter slip and fall accidents cause serious injuries. The most typical injuries include fractures and dislocations.
Follow these 10 tips to make sure you’re staying safe when walking around in snowy and icy conditions:
1. Walk slowly and carefully. Wear boots or other slip-resistant footwear.
2. Use special care when getting in and out of vehicles. Use the vehicle for support if you need to do so.
3. Watch for slippery floors when you enter any building or home.
4. Try to avoid carrying items, or walking with your hands in your pockets; this can reduce your ability to catch yourself if you lose your balance. Instead, carry a backpack if you have one.
5. Watch out for black ice.
6. Tap your foot on potentially slick areas to see if the areas are slippery.
7. Walk as flat-footed as possible in very icy areas.
8. Avoid uneven surfaces if possible. Avoid steps or curbs with ice on them.
9. Report any untreated surfaces to Facilities. Help us keep you safe!
10. Remember: Ice and snow mean “take it slow!”