top of page
Mountain Ridge
Driver's License and Social Security Number

This page includes helpful information about obtaining a Driver's License and Social Security Number. Please contact your Designated School Official (DSO) at with any questions or concerns.

Here are the details:

Obtaining a Driver's License

To apply for a driver’s license, find your local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and call to make an appointment. Be sure to confirm on the phone all the documents you will need to bring with you and anything else that may be required to receive your license.


Make sure to bring original copies of the following documents in addition to anything else the DMV requires:

  • All signed versions of your Form I-20.

  • A valid passport and your most recent student visa (Please note that you do not need a visa if you are from a visa-exempt country, such as Canada or Bermuda).

  • Proof of residence. This varies from state to state, and you should check your local DMV’s website to ensure you understand what is needed to fulfill this requirement.

  • If you are on optional practical training, bring your Form I-766, “Employment Authorization Document.” The DMV will use the A number on this card to verify your status.


For F-2 dependents to get a driver’s license, you should go to the DMV with them as the primary F-1 visa holder, and make sure you both have all your required documents.


After a successful application process, a DMV official will explain the next steps for attaining your driver’s license. You may be required to pass both a written and driving test. It is normal for some nonimmigrants to only get temporary licenses.

Obtaining a Social Security Number

If you have an on-campus job, you will need to get a Social Security Number (SSN) and card. You will not be able to obtain a SSN unless you are employed. You can file your application for a SSN card in person at any Social Security Administration (SSA) office. This is the address for the location in Littleton:


8000 Southpark Lane

Littleton, CO 80120

(888) 824-4384


Be prepared to provide your original documents to prove your age, identity, and work-authorized immigration status. All evidence of immigration status and work authorization must be unexpired. This will include the following documents:

  • Form I-20

  • I-94 (Arrival/Departure Record)

  • Passport

  • A letter of employment from Denver Seminary that identifies you, confirms your current school status, identifies your employer and job. It will also need to include your employment start date, the number of hours you will be working, and your supervisor’s name and telephone number.


For more information on the types of documents you need to apply for an SSN, refer to the SSA website.

bottom of page